Hawk Cheerleading Tryouts
The 2014-2015 season Try-Outs will be held on April 10, 11, and 12, 2014. Times for the tryouts are TBA.
If you have any questions, please contact Leslie Owens via email at
or phone at (432) 264-5028.
Forms and Resources
Why Choose HC Cheer?
- Howard College offers great scholarships to cheerleaders that typically cover the costs of tuition and books!
- HC Cheerleaders are a very prominent organization on campus. We cheer on the Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams at home and away games, and support other athletic teams and organizations on campus.
- HC Cheerleaders also give back to the community by volunteering for several different non-profit organizations.
- Above all else, Howard College Cheerleaders have FUN! We work hard, play hard, and cheer hard!!!
What Are the Requirements for Try-outs?
- Online Application – found here on the Howard College Athletic website.
- Leadership Essay – 300-500 words, typed, essay explaining why you would be a great addition to the HC Cheer Squad. This essay should focus on your leadership skills, personal values, and cheerleading ability.
- Letter of Reference from Previous Cheer Sponsor – be sure to include a phone number at which he or she may be reached.
- Medical Release – this will be provided at the clinic (or can be found online) and must be signed PRIOR to participation in any physical activity. Please bring a copy of your insurance card to the Clinic.
- Acceptance to Howard College for the coming semester.
- Signed HC Cheer contract - you may access the Contract on the website or pick up a copy at the clinic.
What Can I Expect During Try-outs?
Applicants will try-out in front of the HC Cheer Coach and 2 other judges. Stunting skills will be showcased in groups and each applicant may choose 3 different stunt skills to be judged upon. (If an applicant stunts as both a Base and a Flyer, she may try-out using both skills.) Each applicant will then perform the rest of their try-out individually. Applicants will “spirit” out to the middle of the floor - this is your opportunity to showcase your tumbling ability. (Tumbling is preferred, but not required.) Applicants will then perform 3 consecutive jumps, and a double-toe touch. Next, applicants will perform the Chant, Cheer, and Dance that was taught during the clinic. Lastly, each applicant will participate in a brief interview with the Cheer Coach and Judges. Applicants will be informed of who makes the squad by a letter, sent in the mail within a week after tryouts. Those who are selected to the squad will then be notified of the first team meeting and must attend.
How Will I Be Judged?
- Reference Letter
- Appearance (collegiate cheerleader look)
- Cheer/Chant Skills (sharp motions, loud and clear voice, facial expression)
- Dance Ability (women only; facial expression, rhythm, execution of the motions)
- Jumps (technique and difficulty)
- Stunting skills (technique and ability)
- Tumbling skills (technique and ability)
(Mats will be available at practices and tryouts for stunting and tumbling.)
What Should I Wear to Try-outs?
Applicants should wear “Cheer appropriate” attire. This includes shorts, t-shirt or tank top, cheer shoes, and hair pulled out of the face. Dressing in HC Red and Black is always a plus!
What Will the Try-out Process be Like for Mascots?
Mascots are welcome to attend the clinics, but are required to bring their own 2-3 minute skit for their try-out. This skit should include music, props, etc. and should focus on crowd involvement. Mascots must bring their own music in the form of a CD or on an iPod. Mascots will be judged on appearance, crowd involvement, spirit and enthusiasm.
Who do I Contact for More Information?
Please contact Howard College Cheer sponsor, Leslie Owens with any questions at (432) 264-5028 or