Hawk Cheerleading Tryouts
Hawk Cheerleading will have a cheer clinic on Wednesday, June 4. Clinic times: 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM and 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM. 2014-2015 season Try-Outs will be held on June 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM in the Harold Davis Fitness Center.
or phone at (432) 264-5028.
Forms and Resources
Why Choose HC Cheer?
- Howard College offers great scholarships to cheerleaders that typically cover the costs of tuition and books!
- HC Cheerleaders are a very prominent organization on campus. We cheer on the Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams at home and away games, and support other athletic teams and organizations on campus.
- HC Cheerleaders also give back to the community by volunteering for several different non-profit organizations.
- Above all else, Howard College Cheerleaders have FUN! We work hard, play hard, and cheer hard!!!
What Are the Requirements for Try-outs?
- Online Application – found here on the Howard College Athletic website.
- Leadership Essay – 300-500 words, typed, essay explaining why you would be a great addition to the HC Cheer Squad. This essay should focus on your leadership skills, personal values, and cheerleading ability.
- Letter of Reference from Previous Cheer Sponsor – be sure to include a phone number at which he or she may be reached.
- Medical Release – this will be provided at the clinic (or can be found online) and must be signed PRIOR to participation in any physical activity. Please bring a copy of your insurance card to the Clinic.
- Acceptance to Howard College for the coming semester.
- Signed HC Cheer contract - you may access the Contract on the website or pick up a copy at the clinic.
What Can I Expect During Try-outs?
Applicants will try-out in front of the HC Cheer Coach and 2 other judges. Stunting skills will be showcased in groups and each applicant may choose 3 different stunt skills to be judged upon. (If an applicant stunts as both a Base and a Flyer, she may try-out using both skills.) Each applicant will then perform the rest of their try-out individually. Applicants will “spirit” out to the middle of the floor - this is your opportunity to showcase your tumbling ability. (Tumbling is preferred, but not required.) Applicants will then perform 3 consecutive jumps, and a double-toe touch. Next, applicants will perform the Chant, Cheer, and Dance that was taught during the clinic. Lastly, each applicant will participate in a brief interview with the Cheer Coach and Judges. Applicants will be informed of who makes the squad by a letter, sent in the mail within a week after tryouts. Those who are selected to the squad will then be notified of the first team meeting and must attend.
How Will I Be Judged?
- Reference Letter
- Appearance (collegiate cheerleader look)
- Cheer/Chant Skills (sharp motions, loud and clear voice, facial expression)
- Dance Ability (women only; facial expression, rhythm, execution of the motions)
- Jumps (technique and difficulty)
- Stunting skills (technique and ability)
- Tumbling skills (technique and ability)
(Mats will be available at practices and tryouts for stunting and tumbling.)
What Should I Wear to Try-outs?
Applicants should wear “Cheer appropriate” attire. This includes shorts, t-shirt or tank top, cheer shoes, and hair pulled out of the face. Dressing in HC Red and Black is always a plus!
What Will the Try-out Process be Like for Mascots?
Mascots are welcome to attend the clinics, but are required to bring their own 2-3 minute skit for their try-out. This skit should include music, props, etc. and should focus on crowd involvement. Mascots must bring their own music in the form of a CD or on an iPod. Mascots will be judged on appearance, crowd involvement, spirit and enthusiasm.
Who do I Contact for More Information?